Honda Motor Co. (Middle East and Africa) launched the All-New Honda Accord in the GCC today. One of the major highlights for the all-new Accord, is its advanced Premium 2 motor hybrid system, (e:HEV) which is introduced for the first time in the region.
The highly popular1.5L VTEC Turbo petrol variant is also available. The Accord brand plate has been synonymous for its driving dynamics over the decades and a true benchmark in its class, offers an unbeatable combination of style, efficiency, performance, and connectivity.
The new Accord is longer and sleeker with premium proportions and a broad stance, with a low horizontal beltline and a long, powerful front end. The most popular sedan backs up its sleek new looks with more confident and refined dynamics, improved responsiveness, and a more fun-to-drive personality.
The Hybrid (e:HEV) model is equipped with a 2.0 litre direct injection Atkinson cycle engine with Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (E-CVT) which features direct drive to the wheels via the propulsion motor, thus eliminating the need for conventional geared transmission. With a total system power output of 204hp and motor torque is at an impressive 355Nm from 0-2000rpm. The 1.5 Litre VTEC Turbo Engine generates 194hp @6000rpm and 260Nm torque. Packed with a number of interior, advanced technology and safety features, is why, this is the best Accord ever.
- Two Powertrain variants- Hybrid (e:HEV) and Petrol Turbo
- Two Motor intelligent Multi Mode Drive (i-MMD) System on Sport and EX-L.
- 1.5L Turbo engine has three grades LX, EX and EX-L to suit every need.
- Honda Sensing standard on all grades
- Head Up Display
- Show stopping exterior styling.
- Sporty spacious contemporary interiors.
- For the first time, Connected Services and Google built in available in certain countries
- Dual zone automatic climate control, leather, or fabric seats, 60:40 seat configuration
- Advanced technology features, a 10.2 full color digital driver information interface, and a 12.3 Display audio screen, front and rear USB chargers and wireless charger as standard.
- 12 Speaker Bose CenterPoint surround sound system.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and wired Android Auto.
- Active sound and active noise control system
- 8 Airbags as standard fitment on all grades
- Driver Attention Monitor
- Powered seats with memory function on certain grades
- 4 Mode drive System in the e:HEV variant
- 2 Mode drive system in the 1.5L variant
- Advanced safety features such as rear multi view camera, seatbelt reminder system and rear seat occupant Reminder.
- The Accord is available in 8 Exterior Colors and 2 interior Colors with Fabric and Leather
Modern Design in Motion: Exterior Styling
The All New Accord features a sleek new coupe styling, a car created with a sporty character, that amplifies its spirited on-road personality as well as offers remarkable levels of comfort. It features elegant and sophisticated styling with long, clean body lines and a strong, powerful front end with an upright grille and a new dual low-beam design with darkened housing that gives the headlights a dramatic look, day or night.
A sharp upper character line running the length of the body creates a sense of motion and highlights its increased overall length. A longer hood and a flowing fastback roofline creates a premium silhouette. Along the roof line, Accord uses laser brazing technology, eliminating the need for roof molding for a smooth and clean roof line. Distinctive horizontal LED straight-line taillights accentuate Accord's wide stance.
Across the rear, linear tapered LED taillights expand across the trunk to emphasize the width and sleekness of the Accord.
A combination of design simplicity and advanced technology can be seen in every detail. The distinctive front end features an active shutter grille, hidden behind the gloss black mesh panel. The shutter grille opens and closes at predetermined speeds to improve engine efficiency.
Some of the detailed features of the Accord include:
- Full LED Lighting with Coming Home Function: The Honda Accord features full auto LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights on all grades. An added function includes the coming home function where the headlights lights are switched on when you unlock your car with the remote control. In this way your headlights help to illuminate the way to and from your front door, whenever you arrive or set off in the dark.
- Dual Tone Alloy Wheels: The LX and EX Grade feature 17” Alloy Wheels that perfectly fit into the frame of the sleek Accord. The EX-L, Sport and e:HEV-EX-L features Dual Tone 18” Alloy Wheels.
- Sunroof: One touch operation of the sunroof and sunshade, allows you to soak in the sun or allowing the breeze in while cruising along highways.
Other noteworthy features Auto rain sensing wipers in the Hybrid Accord grades, rear and front parking sensors, rear fog lamps, power folding mirrors, smart entry with touch sensor and Walk-Away auto lock® is standard in all grades.
Premium Interior Styling: Your Space
With clean surfaces, high-quality materials and upscale touches, the All New Accord uses premium materials throughout the cabin, especially on touchpoints, with close attention paid to the operation of all switchgear and controls for a premium feel. The uncluttered and beautifully simple design provides maximum room and total comfort in which to enjoy the premium Bose centre point sound system. Tactile surfaces and refined materials insulate you from the hustle and bustle of the city streets. A striking metal mesh spanning the dash serves both form and function, concealing the air vents that would otherwise mar the uncluttered and harmonious design. The All New Accord is also more comfortable with all-new front body stabilizing seat in which the frame firmly holds the body, reducing fatigue on long drives.
- Intelligent Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control System: Metal honeycomb mesh panels span the dash to deliver a fresh, clean design and discreetly hide the air vents. The Air Vents are a part of the smart design of the Dual Zone Climate Control System which allows the vehicle's front-seat passengers to set their own preferred temperature for their “zone,” or their area of the front cabin.
- Rear Seats: The rear seats are designed to provide increased support, helping your rear passengers to stay comfortable and stable during acceleration, braking and when cornering. 60/40 split or ease of use and a center armrest is a great addition on long journeys and of course something to keep the drinks from spilling.
- Seat Height Adjustment: The All New Accord comes equipped with an 8-Way Power seat height adjustment for the Drivers Side and 4-way seat height adjustment for the passenger. Memory seats are a great addition that can be set to the individual remote key fobs, so you never have to adjust your seat again.
Connectivity and Technology:
Intuitive technology has been smartly integrated into Accord with a focus on the driver. From the Head Up Display to every detail, from look and feel of each button, to the positioning of handy storage spaces. The Accord has been designed with you in mind. The Accord is equipped with a massive 12.3-inch Display Audio with a full color touchscreen interface, split into two zones.
12.3 Inch Full Color Display Audio with Touchscreen:
Except the LX grade, the Accord is available with Honda's largest ever touchscreen, a 12.3-inch unit with a physical volume knob, wireless Apple CarPlay® wired Android Auto™ compatibility and a simplified navigation structure with fewer menus. The screen is divided into A and B zones, A zone is the main touchscreen, and B zone can be swiped up or down to view different menu options and information.
- Wireless Charger: A Qi-compatible wireless charger for easier smartphone charging on the go is available on the EX-L grade for the 1.5L Engine and all grades of the Accord e:HEV.
- 10.2'' Full Digital Driver information interface screen: A 10.2” multi-information display in line of sight of the driver features clean and easy-to-read graphics. The design features a large tachometer and other important information for the driver such as:
- Honda Sensing ADAS detection graphics
- Drive Modes
- Fuel Economy
- Driver Attention Monitor
- Keyless Access System
- Auto High Beam
- Headlight integration with wiper control
- Steering Wheel Controls: The Steering wheel of the Accord is equipped with a multitude of controls and functions. The left-hand side controls the audio, Bluetooth and voice recognition, whilst the righthand side controls all the functions relating to Honda Sensing.
- One Pedal Drive: Paddle shifters are equipped on the e:HEV model to control deceleration during “One pedal” drive mode. This allows the driver to control the deceleration in six stages without using the brakes. Brake lights are automatically illuminated during stage three, as the deceleration is 0.1G. In this way more energy can be recovered and smoother drivability is maintained
- Front and Rear USB Ports: The All-New Accord features front USB standard for charging and for smart phone interface. The rear USB charging ports are now the new C-Type charging ports for your smartphone charge top up while travelling.
- Speaker System: While the LX Grade comes equipped with 4 Speakers, for the first time in a Honda Accord all grades feature a 12 speaker Bose CenterPoint Surround Audio system, giving each occupant a concert hall like sound feel.
- Google built in: The Accord is the first Honda model to incorporate Google built in. Going from home to the car seamlessly, with connectivity available by just using your voice, enhances the overall driving experience. You can say “hey Google” turn the radio OFF or turn the A/C on and many other commands. For continuous on-the-go connectivity, it includes Google Assistant, Google Maps and Google Play capability.
- Honda Connect: This app allows the owners to seamlessly connect to your world with our latest intelligent technology. You can communicate with your Accord remotely from your smartphone via our Honda CONNECT app. Amongst other things, allows you to pre-cool the interior, giving you a comfort welcome on hot days or set geofence alert for security. You can even use your smartphone as a Digital Key to lock, unlock. With automatic collision notification and many more functions, Honda makes sure you are always connected and informed.
Like you, The new Accord is ready for more, designed with Honda’s human-centric philosophy in mind, The Accord comes packed with more standard features than ever. The All New Accord considers the comfort of the passengers with little details that puts them at ease for everyday life. Some of the features included:
- Electronic Parking Brake with Brake Hold: The Honda Accord features an electric parking brake. Easy and convenient to use, with added feature of brake hold during stop start in heavy traffic.
- Auto Folding Door Mirrors: Lock/unlock your Accord and the mirrors fold/unfold automatically with the operation of the key fob.
- Rear A/C vents: The rear passengers can enjoy additional comfort with rear a/c vents which helps them to sit back and enjoy the ride in Honda Accord.
- 60:40 Combination Seats: The Accord also has the rear 60:40 seats which in a single motion converts to accommodate cargo of all sizes.
- Driver Attention Monitor: The Driver Attention Monitor continually monitors and assesses driver behavior behind the wheel to help determine if the driver is becoming inattentive – and then if so, encourages the driver to take a break. The driver is alerted by 4-level bar graph that is displayed on the TFT meter.
- Self-Opening Trunk Lid: Lid raises automatically when the trunk is opened for easier access when loading or unloading cargo.
Performance and Driving Dynamics
Whether you prefer thrills or serenity, the all-new Accord delivers both. Available with two powertrains, a 1.5 liter VTEC Turbo and the 2.0 litre e:HEV with its advanced 2 motor Hybrid system. The 1.5-liter VTEC Turbo produces 194hp and 260Nm of torque from 1700rpm for instant response. The low inertia turbo eliminates turbo lag and Step-Shift programming on the CVT transmission simulates gear changes at full throttle, providing a truly sports driving experience.
Born to Be Hybrid:
The Accord has one of the most advanced Hybrid powertrains in the market. A self-charging Hybrid that provides clever efficiency with adrenaline-pumping power. The all-new Accord e:HEV embodies self-charging hybrid technology at its most advanced with responsiveness and efficiency built-in. Every drive delivers exhilaration with pleasure and because e:HEV gives you a full hybrid experience, the Accord can run exclusively on smooth, silent electric power unlike a mild hybrid. From the moment you step on the pedal, you’ll feel the smooth, direct rush of instant torque, courtesy of the 335Nm of torque from the powerful electric motor. A clever charge button allows you to extend the EV drive mode, just one of the human centered engineering approach.
The 2.0 litre direct injection Atkinson cycle engine, varies the compression ratio according to the Hybrid modes and power required, sipping fuel when in Hybrid mode and providing high power during engine drive mode. Mated to the engine is Honda’s two motor Intelligent Multi Mode Drive System, that powers the Accord e: HEV. The various modes of the i-MMD has been explain below:
- Electric drive: Electricity is released from the high voltage battery for smooth, silent running and instant acceleration
- Hybrid drive: The petrol engine drives the Accord’s highly efficient generator to charge the battery and provide optimum driving performance and long-range efficiency
- Engine drive: The petrol engine powers the wheels directly during high-speed cruising, as the motor torque starts to drop, providing exhilarating performance at all speeds.
- Regenerative braking: The energy discharged when you apply the brakes is captured to top-up the high voltage battery.
Honda e:HEV technology means you can enjoy the benefits of electrified motoring, such as instant power from stand still. As a self-charging hybrid that makes its own electricity, you’ll never need to connect to the mains – it’s maximum energy with minimum fuss. The all-new Accord really is the driver’s hybrid.
The Accord e:HEV grades features driver-selectable drive modes. Using the toggle switch located in the center console, the driver can choose between four different drive modes to fine-tune the driving experience depending on conditions:
- NORMAL Mode: All parameters are tuned to provide a balance between performance and fuel efficiency
- SPORT Mode: Sport mode is more focused on delivering higher performance by faster throttle response. It offers greater acceleration, with sporty gauges and Active Sound Control – a feature that brings the exhaust note to the driver’s ears..
INDIVIDUAL Mode: An individual mode allows the driver to select various parameters. For example, if you want the Sporty performance and not the sound, just select ‘Normal’ for sound control and drive the way you want!
- ECON Mode: Econ mode prioritizes fuel economy by fine tuning the throttle control and CVT drive ratios for petrol model
Chassis and Handling:
The Honda Accord has long been praised by drivers and enthusiasts alike for its stellar driving dynamics. Much of that dynamic excellence stems from its sophisticated chassis featuring an aluminium-intensive suspension design. For the all-new, 11th-gen Accord, our chassis engineers improved upon these already acclaimed underpinnings by revising front and rear suspension settings and steering feel.
Motion management Control judges cornering and load the front wheels, as the powertrain slows the vehicle, as weight shifts forward the front wheels firmly grip on the road surface, making turning more stable.
Advanced Safety with Honda Sensing TM
The Honda Accord is equipped with Honda SensingTM suite of active safety and driver assistive technologies in all grades that uses a new single-camera system which detects a wider view of the road ahead for enhanced recognition capability. Combined with software advances and a new, more powerful processor, the system is also capable of more quickly and accurately identifying other vehicles and make driving both easier and safer.
The features include:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS): Designed to detect and alert the driver of a potential collision. It also reduces vehicle speed to minimize impact if a collision becomes unavoidable. CMBS function detects oncoming vehicles when turning, bicycles, pedestrians with no streetlight and motorcycles.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and Low Speed Following allows the driver to set a desired speed and following distance from a vehicle detected ahead, allowing the Accord to adjust its speed automatically for a safe and comfortable journey. The LSF function can bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS): Helps to keep vehicle in the middle of a detected lane, preventing it from accidentally drifting out of its lane.
- Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM): Alerts driver when it detects the vehicle may have unintentionally deviated from its lane, it can apply gentle steering correction and brakes if required.
- Lane Departure Warning: If the car moves out of its lane without you activating the indicator, visual alerts will flash with an audible sound, to help the driver to correct the lane drift.
Other Safety Features
Continuing Honda’s' longstanding tradition of advancing safety performance, the Honda Accord introduces multiple new active and passive safety systems. Some of the additional safety systems include:
- ACE™ Body Structure: The Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure in the Honda Accord has been enhanced for even better compatibility with larger vehicles with improved occupant protection in angled frontal collisions, with a new upper A-pillar structure, side frame and lower firewall structure, all designed to route crash energy around the cabin.
- Rear Multi View Camera with Dynamic Guidelines: The rear multi angle rear view camera with dynamic guidelines helps you choose from three different angles while reversing
- 8 Airbags as standard: New front airbags for both the driver and passenger are designed to reduce head rotation, especially in oblique or offset collisions. The passenger-side front airbag uses a three-chamber design to achieve a similar result, with two outer chambers designed to cradle and control head rotation. They include Front Airbags, Side Airbags, Side Curtain Airbags and Front Knee Airbags
- Rear Seat Occupant Reminder: Rear Seat Occupant reminders system that you check the rear seat area, when the ignition is turned off
- Seatbelt Reminder System: Ensuring all occupants are belted up, a visual display is shown in the binnacle
- Vehicle Stability AssistTM (VSA®) with Traction Control: During an oversteer or understeer condition, VSA can brake individual wheels and/or reduce engine power to help restore your intended course.
- Auto High Beam (AHB): Automatically changes the low beam headlights to high beam when necessary.
Color Availability and Grades
The All-New Honda Accord is available in three grades for 1.5 Litre Engine and two grades for the e:HEV for the GCC:
- Platinum White Pearl
- Lunar Silver Metallic
- Canyon River Blue Metallic NEW
- Radiant Red Metallic
- Still Night Blue Pearl
- Meteoroid Gray Metallic NEW
- Crystal Black Pearl
- Urban Grey Pearl NEW
- Black and Grayge Fabric
- Black and Grayge Leather